Mud and pheremones

Saturday found me wandering along a muddy footpath in woodland close to Polesden Lacey, which produced a couple of Marsh Tits. The tea and flapjacks afterwards ran them a close second. Mud was the overriding theme on Sunday, as I paid a visit to Beddington SF. This site is squelchy at the best of times, but after one of the wettest Decembers of recent years it was worse than normal. Bird wise it was fairly quiet, although a Water Pipit and several Tree Sparrows were just two of the highlights.

The moth trap has been decidedly poor. Mild nights have not resulted in moths caught. The current clement spell is about to end, so I would imagine this window of opportunity is about to be closed. Planning for the summer, I have just ordered a bumper pack of pheromone lures from Anglian Lepidopterist Supplies which I hope will help me to record several species of clearwing in the summer.

Comments

Dave Boyle said…
Come visit Steve if you want to see Thrift Clearwing - they're easy as long as the sun comes out & its not windy, don't need pheromones. Didn't see a single one last year!
Steve Gale said…
In that case I'm glad I didn't make the trip to Skomer especially to see Thrift Clearwing last year Dave!

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood