Back on track

After yesterday's post that careered madly into self-analysis and self-absorption*, I got up this morning, dusted myself down and just got on with it - a birding trip to Canons Farm!

The Met Office predicted a warm day of hazy sunshine, but by early afternoon cloud cover had largely won the battle and a f2-3 south-easterly had a little bit of a nip to it. The air certainly betrayed the presence of continental pollution, with the mid-distance appearing hazy and the horizon line murky indeed. But what about the birding? At long last a Northern Wheatear appeared before me, a smart male on one of those ideal looking fields. A single Swallow headed east without stopping and the edges of Banstead Woods was enlivened with the song of Blackcap, Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler. My prediction that the Linnet flock was about to disperse was incorrect - it has now increased to 250 birds.

As far as the Surrey v Northumberland patch challenge goes, the list is now up to 81 species (81% of target).

* My wife read this over my shoulder and said, "this blogging is like therapy for you, isn't it". I cannot argue with that.

Comments

Warren Baker said…
Still await that 1st Wheatear here Steve.....................
Tony Brown said…
I'm a bit disappointed there aren't any photos to accompany this blogpost ;-)
Steve Gale said…
How many do you get on patch each year Warren?
Steve Gale said…
Tony, I wouldn't dare!
Derek Faulkner said…
Steve,
Lucky you with the Wheatear and Willow Warblers. Here on Sheppey's marshes we're still waiting for Wheatears and every birdwatcher that I speak to is bemoaning the fact that they still haven't seen any.
Steve Gale said…
I'm surprised by that Derek - I suppose a lot of us 'inlanders' just assume that everything is earlier (and in greater number) by the coast.

Popular posts from this blog

Memories of Bob

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood