Playing catch-up

There were two species that had been present in the Dungeness area since I arrived two days ago and which I was keen to see. The first, a ring-tailed Hen Harrier, gave itself up fairly quickly, hunting over the adjacent field to the Sunflower crop at Dengemarsh. It fell on prey and remained out of view, allowing close approach before taking flight and performing in front of  Mark H and I. Our views were more than satisfactory. The second species was another large raptor, an Osprey, found by Paul T at Lade Pits and seemingly happy to stay and take advantage of the easy fishing to be had. It was relocated, perched on a post and remained in place for at least a couple of hours, enough time for several of us to scope it from the road. My first non-flying Osprey at Dungeness.

This afternoon, one of those simple, but oh so glorious moments of birding occurred. It was mid-afternoon, all seemed quiet, and I was making my way from the observatory to the sea watch hide. A single 'chak' alerted me to a Fieldfare in the sky above me, and looking up I could see the lone thrush, circling. Then from above it a tight flock of 30 more fell out of the sky, swirling in a calling frenzy, before levelling out and continuing on their way westwards. Nothing else seemed to be moving, which made this cameo all the more personal. Birding in its purest state.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Kwowww"

Mike Netherwood

To tell it like it is, or not...